The Diploma covers all the fundamental skills required in art, animation, visual effects, games design, principles of 3D design, maths and product programming and knowledge of the ecosystem of the industries.
Sample Topic: Fortnite
Learners must achieve all mandatory units at Level 3 to achieve this qualification. Assessment of this qualification is through completion of an Assessment Pack as well as two internally set, externally approved and internally marked written examinations
|H/507/3221||The Games, Animation and VFX Industries||Three|
|H/507/3218||Maths and Logic Fundamentals for the Games, Animation and VFX Industries||Three|
|Y/507/3216||Fundamental Product Programming Skills||Three|
|T/507/3210||Art Fundamentals for the Games, Animation and VFX Industries||Three|
|R/507/3215||Fundamental Animation Skills for the Games, Animation and VFX Industries||Three|
|K/507/3222||VFX Fundamentals for the Games, Animation and VFX Industries||Three|
|F/507/3209||3D Tools: Principles and Practice||Three|
|F/507/3212||Core Principles of Game Design||Three|
Start Date: Flexible
Length of Course: The maximum time that you may take to complete your course is 12 months.
This is a 100% distance learning course so it’s your choice. Study at home, at work, on the beach or on the go.
Online tutorials, videos, elearning materials, activities, projects, one-to-one support and more to equip you with the knowledge and skills that you will need to pass the course.
You will create a portfolio of evidence.
- Level 2 mathematics or equivalent, i.e. GCSE Maths at Grade C (or you will need to pass a maths skills test)
- Level 2 English or equivalent i.e. GCSE English at Grade C (or you will need to pass an English skills test)
- We recommend that you have the following:
- Basic programming skills
- Good ICT
- A flair for design
- and a passion for gaming
You need to be computer literate and have:
- access to a computer (a tablet or smart phone may also be used and will require an app to be installed)
- access to the internet
You may also need occasional access to a printer.
Visit prospects.ac.uk for information on careers in the gaming and VFX industry. These include:
- quality assurance tester
- programmer, with various specialisms such as network, engine, toolchain and artificial intelligence
- artist, including concept artist, animator and 3D modeller
- special effects technician